Why Companies Should Use Social Media
Social media is a collective term for all digital media, which allows the joint creation, commenting and rating of content.
This can be a corporate blog or a presence on social networks like Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
How does social media work?
Many think that social media is the creation of digital content. But this is only the beginning. After all, social media marketing actually involves building relationships.
This means that one builds a relationship with the prospect or customer through the digital channels. In contrast to public relations, which provides content as a flyer or digital information, social media aims not only to send content but also to receive it. That means listening to the target audience.
This is comparable to a conversation at a party: two people who talk to each other and listen to each other at the same time. In the conversation, they enter the other and orient their topics of conversation to their counterparts. So they learn a lot about the other and the foreign image, which they can then match with the self-image.
What goals can be pursued in social media?
In addition to “We do not want to miss the trend,” social media offers a variety of goals that it can support. Imageaufbau is just one of many. Here is a short list of some important goals:
The company shows how it works. Not the offers are in the foreground, but actually, the way it does something.
- What attitude does the company have towards the environment?
- What does corporate management attach particular importance to?
- What is the personnel policy?
- Who works there?
- What is the working climate?
- Which prices does the company win?
- How does the company deal with diversity? How many young/old/disabled/immigrant/female/ male employees are there?
- What do customers say about the company?
- Which projects/products are there?
- WE ARE GOOD!
The company shows its very special expertise:
- At which events is the company represented?
- At which events does the company exhibit itself?
- Where does the company appear on its own? Lectures?
- Which awards are there?
- How does the company handle special challenges?
- What makes the company so special (unique feature)
The company particularly shows the facets that interest customers in order to gain confidence in them. Through active community management, a community emerges on the Facebook page, which not only reads the contributions but also contributes: answers questions, sends suggestions itself and also contributes to further dissemination (by sharing and commenting). Topics here are:
- Type of products
The company focuses on content that attracts particular attention among applicants. It is important to think about what motivates the future employee. What motivates Generation? What motivates Generation? This concerns, for example, topics such as:
- working climate
- Personnel Policy
- Projects and products
The company sees the digital channels as an opportunity to provide customers with a faster and better or a wider service channel. The strong use of social media in our everyday lives is a way to move closer to the customer and to meet him in his language.
- Telekom helps: At Telekom, you can report on Twitter and Facebook in case of problems and receives much faster help than the hotline.
- Hermes: has added Twitter to their service centre and will respond to tweets with relevant customer information within minutes.
At what point should social media be affiliated with the company?
There are different answers to this question because it depends on which goal is pursued. Here is an overview of where you can affiliate social media with the respective goal.
When it comes to recruiting employees, the HR department knows exactly which employee profiles should be addressed and how a workplace can be attractively displayed in the company.
Press and public relations
Here the goal of the image gain is pursued. The press department knows exactly in which network and by what means the desired target group informs itself.
New customers are approached, so the marketing department knows best how to show the product in the most beautiful light.
Social Media – Department
In companies that do not have departments that may not have the capacity in the individual departments, it makes sense to install a social media (staff) post. This then takes the appropriate information from all areas and also gives feedback on what is happening and how the state of affairs is.
The Importance of Offline Marketing in Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing alone will seldom be effective for companies because customers receive information on different channels, and personal contact should not be underestimated. That is why linking offline, and online media is desirable.
- Flyers are important for haptic people – with a note, e.g. on the FB page, they can also be led into digital channels.
- Similarly, the linking of the website with social media is mandatory – please visible on the page.
- Email footer referring to digital channels may lead to a more intense engagement with the company.
- and much more.
What does social media look like?
Social media of a company must follow the corporate design as well as the corporate identity. This is the only way to ensure that all corporate channels are recognized offline and online. This applies in particular to the following components:
- Corporate colours
- How it is spoken
- What is defined as humour
- How fast and in what form to answer questions
- Which imagery is used
- How to respond to negative criticism
Target group-focused strategy
Social media is a perfect communication tool. The target group must be at the center of all considerations. That’s why you have to ask yourself a few questions before we can even start social media :
- What should be better with social media?
- Who do I want to reach with social media?
- What should the person do when I reach them?
- Which content can inspire the person?
- Which networks do I want to record?
- What do my resources look like? (Staff, budget, time)
- Which highlights of the year do I want to implement in the editorial plan?
- Who makes social media? (Content implementation)
- Who is responsible? (Strategic Planning and Monitoring)